Mail Dupes?

Henry Spencer henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 16 21:14:02 UTC 2003

The duplicates problem looks like it's with mail *originating* on Sympatico,
rather than mail delivery *to* Sympatico users.

I got three copies of JoeHill's latest in fast succession, so a close look
at the headers is now possible.  The real killer is that the three copies
have three separate message IDs, and *those* are pretty clearly being
assigned before the messages ever get to TLUG:

The dates embedded in those IDs match the ones in the Date headers, and
don't match the lethe.ss.org timestamps (which are different in order as
well as in absolute value).

Moreover, the Received headers with the earliest lethe timestamps, which
*presumably* indicate when the messages arrived at lethe -- "presumably"
because lethe isn't putting quite as much information in the Received
headers as it really should -- show different processing IDs, implying
three separate arrivals.

Unless JoeHill's own machine is assigning those message IDs -- which seems
unlikely -- I think this stuttering is somewhere in Sympatico's outbound-
mail processing.

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org