extreme CPU usage on CDROM or DVD

Jason Shein jshein-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 16 12:55:09 UTC 2003

I am running Suse8.2 Pro. Whenever I use the cdrom or the dvd, my cpu
usage rockets up to 99% and stays there until it is done. This happens
on writing cd's, transfering data from disk to HD, reading DVD's,
ripping MP3's etc.

The CD writer is mounted using SCSI emulation, while the DVD is not. (
default for some reason on suse 8.2  - which I am currently looking on
gooogle to howto correct)

System:

MSI K7N2 Delta - ILSR
Nforce2 Chipset - using current drivers
AthlonXP 2800 Barton CPU
1 Gig DDR400 dual channel ram

memory is not the issue, neither is cpu. I have not seen this behaviour
before. I have had MDK9.1 on this system with no problems.

Any ideas?

--
" Eventually people tire of repairing broken Windows,
        And decide to replace them with something stronger"