How do I get into BIOS of old Dell system?

Fraser Campbell fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 15 02:10:34 UTC 2003

Hi,

Migrated my firewall from P166 to 486-66, had an interesting problem during
bootup.

Following the message "Freeing unused kernel memory: 64k" (perhaps not exact)
the kernel paniced with the message "unable to handle kernel paging request"
(again possibly not exact quote).

I tried passing the kernel a few parameters at boot time and found that by
passing mem=15000k the system is able to boot just fine.  The system has 16MB
of total memory.  While that is ok and I have the system booting just fine
now 15MB leaves things running *very* tight, that extra 1MB could be pretty
useful.

The only thing that I can think of is that some machines have a "memory hole"
option in the BIOS that occurs between 15 and 16 MB, I wonder if mine has
that?  Problem is I cannot get into the BIOS, I've tried numerous function
keys, escape and delete.  It's an optiplex 486/66.  Any ideas how to get into
the BIOS, or what else might be causing the issue?

Thanks!
Halton Hills, Ontario, Canada                             Debian GNU/Linux