How to start a revolution?

Marc Lijour (Professeur d'Informatique) marc-bbkyySd1vPWsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 14 19:55:01 UTC 2003

Le 13 Octobre 2003 15:39, Byron Sonne a écrit :
> > Finally, one question that seems to keep coming up for me is how do you
> > handle user authentication and "roaming profiles" in this type of a
> > set-up? I can think of a few ways ... but I've never used Un*x in a true
> > multi-user/desktop environment and wonder how this is done easily?
> > Kerberos? LDAP? Or just basic Un*x authentication?
>
> If the option presents itself, some type of diskless (NICs with boot
> ROMs) workstation setup sounds like it might work out for you. Depending
> on who logs in, the appropriate image gets executed and then personal
> dirs get mounted, either via NFS or SMB. It's easier to manage and
> probably more cost effective, and if you don't use thin clients you
> still have chassis' around so you can play with hardware. Speaking as a
> 31 year old 'kid', I know I love playing with hardware ;)
>
> As for what mechanism you'd use to do this, I don't know. I'm not a fan
> of kerberos but I know that the hospital I used to work at was
> implementing a single sign-on LDAP project across unix and windows
> envionments, but I've never implemented LDAP and don't know enough about
> it to hold an educated opinion. I've seen NIS/NIS+ and NFS used to
> accomplish just what it is you're after, though, and it is the classic
> unix method of doing it :)

Just to add that I used NIS in the past, and was nice.
LDAP allows you to integrate with Active Directory as they (MS) say.

Same issue of integration about NFS/SMB choice. Have you some win boxes
around? Which one will be server?

We also had DHCP and IP delivered/mapped to each MAC address.
Easy to configure from the server..