How to start a revolution?

Marc Lijour (Professeur d'Informatique) marc-bbkyySd1vPWsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 14 19:51:42 UTC 2003

Le 11 Octobre 2003 19:51, Phillip Smith (communitybandwidth.ca) a écrit :
> Hello Mel, William,	Byron, Thomas, Joe, Colin, Ilya, Wil, Marc and Toni,
>
> Many thanks to each of you for your interest, ideas and thoughts. Totally
> appreciated and helpful ... especially to know that so many of you are
> interested in helping out and that some of you are neighbors -- this
> "inter-web" think is just awesome, isn't it ;-)
>
> Anyway, just a quick note this evening (apologies for the group response)
> to acknowledge your emails and to say that it looks like the consensus is
> to hold a small gathering -- perhaps at the lab -- to connect and kick
> around some ideas.
>
> If there are specific dates/times that would work for you, please let me
> know. Generally, the best day to visit the lab -- when it's not full of
> youngsters -- is Saturday. Would that work for people? Perhaps we could
> explore a date in late October or early November?
>
> And, also, a few of you had some specific questions ...
>
> Regarding case studies or examples, what I'm looking for are specific
> instances where a school or learning environment have rolled out a
> mid-sized lab with only Linux or related OS operating systems and software.
> I've got many case studies of OS in the non-profit sector (that's my line
> of work) but not many in the education/learning sector ... specifically
> where I could point to them and say "they did it and here's how and let's
> give them a phone call and chat".

Well what are the requirements?

I set up a all-linux lab in the past, but I wasn't really backed up by the
director... by idea to call them ;)

Actually that could be the biggest issue for you too: selling your stuff to
the parents of these youngsters + the win-addict of them.
This is when people show bad will, and if anything goes wrong they know
why.... (it is what they told you not to do before hand!).

If you could get everybody involved you would have the best chances of
success.

For the topics I teach, I would not need anything but Linux (if my school
board would let me touch the lab to get it my way).