Googley Woogeley

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 14 16:25:20 UTC 2003

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 11:55:37AM -0400, Lloyd D Budd wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-10-14 at 03:06, Kevin Cozens wrote:
> > I don't know why they tried to single out Google. The use of cookies is
> > common to a large number of the web sites on the net. Any time you access a
> > web site, your IP address is recorded if the site has logging enabled.
> For privacy sensitive individuals having search terms associated to them
> is undesirable. Google could "unassociate" this info.
>
> > Somebody else will probably be able to go through the points in more detail
> > before I can. As its 3am at the moment, I need to go to bed to get some sleep.
>
> http://www.google-watch.org/ describes all the possible concerns with
> Google that I am aware of. Possibly the most interesting is the site's
> concerns is Google does not make its position on privacy clear, and they
> have made questionable implementation decisions related to privacy.

Why do they have to?  When you cross over on port 80, you are entering
someone else's property (ie. computers, cpu, harddisks) and using
someone else's service (ie. bandwidth, programmer's payrolls).  What
Google do with the infos is totally Google's discretion.

--
William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>