Sendmail VS M$ Exchange

Paul Kozlenko pkozlenko-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 14 14:22:05 UTC 2003

I would appreciate any help that I can get on solving an issue I have with an
SMTP gateway using SuSE 8.1 and Sendmail 8.12.6 with SuSE latest patches.

Scenario:
The MS Exchange server passes all outgoing email to the Sendmail gateway and
once in a while an email is genereated that is sent to all recipients in the
corporation (about 1750).  Because some of the recipient are accessed only
via SMTP the entire header goes to these external addresses as well.
Probably 1600 internal and the balance are internet addresses.

The gateway claims the header exceeds the max setting of 32768.  Calculating
1750 X an approx. 30 character average per address e.g.
"john.smith-qb5DVjQeiwZEgLnXhegG/Q at public.gmane.org" and some longer names. This would be correct.  I
increased the max setting to 65535 and I still get the same message.

How do I estimate the correct header length?
The Exchange server has no problem sending this out of it's SMTP gateway.
I can not get the email broken down into chunks. I am at the mercy of the
senders and this is how they work. If the gateway can determine somehow how
to handle this, OK.

Is there a way of telling the gateway to accept unlimited header size from
internal network numbers and limit receiveing larger headers from all other
network numbers?

I could simply eliminate the Sendmail gateway.  But I would lose some features
that it provides.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
Paul