Microsoft Must be held accountable.

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 14 02:27:48 UTC 2003

<cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org> on Monday, October 13, 2003 9:18 PM wrote:

> > On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, Keith Mastin wrote:
> >
> > > I don't think you can unincorporate until your books are free and
clear
> > > and the creditors have been paid or those matters have been settled
for
> > > the corporation. Until you do, it's still a viable entity and can come
> > > back to haunt you later.
> >
> > I guess you didn't read my post about Dave & crew (Velocet/DSL.ca); you
> > can contact the trustee ("Judd, Gregory M." <gjudd-dvAlpm8UpAg at public.gmane.org>) for
> > confirmation that they walked away owing creditors ~$2M.
> >
> > Last I heard, Dave was still driving a nice new Lincoln Navigator and
just
> > finished building a new custom house.
>
> Ah, but was Dave one of the officers of the corporation?  Or just an
> employee?

Around Dave Gilbert I feel I have to wear multiple hats. As a Board Member
for the Toronto Free-Net I am thankful for the very real assistance he has
offered to the Free-Net in the past.

On the other hand at past Unix Unanimous meetings I have found that I have
to take some of the things Dave says with a grain (or more) of salt, as he
seems to willing to talk authoritatively in areas where his knowledge seems
more limited than he is willing to let on. So, while I appreciate the stuff
he has done for the Free-Net, and I think of him as a good person to have
around a dinner table (which has happened a number of times after the Unix
Unanimous meetings). However, would I trust him enough to lend him my $, or
would I be willing to go into business with him? Well, the answer is no.

Now, coming to the nasty stuff some on this list have said about Dave, I do
NOT think the man is intentionally crocked. On the other hand I do think the
man may get himself in over his head and maybe not realise he is over his
head...

> If he was the latter, then he likely isn't considered legally
> responsible for any of the company's debts.
>
> If he _was_ an officer, then it's entirely possible that the story is
> not yet complete.
>
> You can almost certainly find instances of virtually any sort of
> situation you wish to; figuring out which scenarios are actually common
> and typical is not a trivial matter.

Colin McGregor