P-166 for free

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 13 21:42:51 UTC 2003

"James Knott" <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> on Monday, October 13, 2003 5:10 PM
wrote:

> Perhaps someone is interested in making a Linux firewall?

I am currently running a P-166 with 32 MB of RAM (an old small Dell box) as
firewall/router on my home network, and it is something of an overkill in
this sort of role. Still, baring serious weirdness (like the machine in
question being a full height tower) I would suggest this could make for an
EXCELLENT firewall. Also, of note, lest anyone think the lack of a hard disk
might be an issue, there are several Linux firewall programs what once
configured will run happily without a hard drive (running just off the
floppy drive), as a starting point see:

http://www.coyotelinux.com/

or

http://leaf.sourceforge.net/