X oddities under Debian

Fraser Campbell fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 13 01:56:53 UTC 2003

On Sunday 12 October 2003 17:08, Anton Markov wrote:

> Have you tried using xrandr?  It can switch your *virtual* desktop size
> so you can change the size of your screen without scrolling.
>
> Use it like:
>
> xrandr --size {width}x{height}
>
> i.e.
> xrandr --size 800x600
>
> The only catch I have noticed is that the resolution has to be one of
> the mod lines in XF86Config.

Very cool,  unfortunately Debian stable has only X 4.1 which doesn't include
this support.

Debian unstable has X 4.2.1 and does have the xrandr client available.
Backports of X 4.2.1 to stable do exist, as (I'm pretty sure) do backports of
X 4.3.0.  Interestingly the randr extension wasn't added until X 4.3.0 based
on my reading of xfree.org ... perhaps the Debian guys backported it to 4.2?

Halton Hills, Ontario, Canada                             Debian GNU/Linux