list check

Fraser Campbell fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 12 16:43:29 UTC 2003

On Sunday 12 October 2003 08:42, you wrote:

> I'm getting spam from the list.  I'm sending this to
> tlug-real-MHjupGqSvN5g9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org which should not work if the list is setup
> securely.  If this is received by list members, then majordomo on
> lethe.ss.org needs to be fixed.

Hi Ralph,

The ss.org servers seem to be a bit of a mess, a while ago I noticed that the
DNS was completely screwed up with 3 of the 4 nameservers hosting old copies
of the zone ... 2 or 3 emails to various addresses (including the list) and
that silently was fixed.

The MX record for tlug.ss.org is still screwed up (secondary mx of ns.ss.org
does not accept for tlug.ss.org).  Most people seem to use tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org as
opposed to tlug-HcP7FbCj2GFAfugRpC6u6w at public.gmane.org but still the publicly advertised address (see
http://tlug.ss.org/subscribe.shtml) suggests @tlug.ss.org (at least for
subscription).

There also seem to be severe connectivity issues with lethe.ss.org.  Severe
enough that email has been bounced back to me after 4 days of inability to
connect.  These connectivity issues might be the fault of Sympatico but still
I would think that is a significant enough population for someone at ss.org
to care.

You posted about this problem well over a month ago as far as I recall and
suggested a sendmail fix, since ss.org uses postfix I immediately followed up
with the recommended fix within postfix.  I'm not sure who runs the list
really, or if anyone at ss.org is interested in these issues ... it certainly
appears to me that they are not.  If help is needed in debugging/fixing these
issues I am more than willing to donate some time.

Halton Hills, Ontario, Canada                             Debian GNU/Linux