Microsoft Must be held accountable.

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 12 11:59:12 UTC 2003

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 03:29:53 -0400 (EDT)
"Keith Mastin" <kmastin-PzQIwG9Jn9VAFePFGvp55w at public.gmane.org> uttered:

> M$ has it all over on *nix as far as the gui goes... I understand that
> everything is compiled directly into their kernel for speed and
> integration. Makes for a huge monlithic kernel, but IE and the desktop
> are fast and smooth as silk compared to X.
>
> Another thing that would help the linux world, and I haven't heard too
> much noise about it, is a gui interface for writting code like they
> have in VB. Get all those scrip-kiddies busy learning how to break
> into a real OS. :)

I read a while back that there was some work going on with something
called "Y" (real creative naming, ya?) which would replace the rapidly
aging and decrepit (but still fun!) X.

IIRC, it was proposed in the manner you suggest, easily programmed using
an object-oriented base, and an easy-to-use toolkit a la GTK, but at a
lower level of course. I would hope, though, that the GUI is never made
part of the kernel...having it run as a server has definite advantages
over the alternative, even beyond the security factor. Mmmmm, thiiiin
clients...droooool.

I have more problems with *sound* than with GUI though.

Must...get...newer...kernel...rid...self...of...OSS...forever... ;-)

--
JoeHill
Registered Linux user #282046