B.I.O.S. to lock out non-Windows code ?

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 12 10:08:57 UTC 2003

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 03:58:40 -0400 (EDT)
"Keith Mastin" <kmastin-PzQIwG9Jn9VAFePFGvp55w at public.gmane.org> uttered:

> I can see that. Control of Information = Control of Capital and
> Populations. Dissemination of (censored) information in the form of
> distribution (esp. in previously un-exploited markets - the fact that
> the 3rd world is pretty big is handy) of advertising creates local
> false wealth and global recognition of control over populations. We
> were taught it would happen in school and here it is, all around us.
>
> The censorship is global. Some governments are outright blatent about
> it, others that pretend to 'grant' 'rights' and 'freedoms' are
> sneakier. Ultimately, the real power is in the hands of those who have
> control over deciding just what information to disseminate, which has
> been the press traditionally. We see how much the Internet challenges
> that fact, we have yet to see what the adjustments will be.

Absolutely, the 'Net is really the biggest challenge to traditional
authority since the printing press, and even more of a threat to
personal liberty (of *thought*) in the wrong hands. The ol' doube edged
sword thingy again...

I wrote a paper on this in Uni, now it's my manifesto, you can read it
on my site. I got an A minus, and some very nice comments from the prof,
lemme know what you think.

> The problem with communism is... who would police the whole damn
> thing? That's what I wanna know. :)

Weeeelll, it depends on how you define communism, of course. Soviet
style communism doesn't work any more than Corporate Capitalism does,
for reasons I outline in my manifesto.

The only viable social system, in the long run, is more anarchist in
nature, maybe we could call it Chomskyism ;-)

*He* actually calls it "Anarcho-Syndicalism", a highly decentralized and
directly democratic "government" that is truly 'of the people, for the
people, and by the people'.

You really ought to read Howard Zinn's "A People's History of the United
States". He provides several case studies which support the thesis that,
left alone by authority, people do *not* revert to a Lord-of-the-Flies
type existence, but in fact automagically build their own stable,
cohesive, and democratic communities.

--
JoeHill
Registered Linux user #282046