Changing iptables rules

Jing Su jingsu-26n5VD7DAF2Tm46uYYfjYg at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 12 01:19:07 UTC 2003

> > Hello all
> >
> > I am working with a new distro (Mandrake 9.1) trying desperately to
> > change the default iptables ruleset to allow ip_masquerade so my wife
> > and daghter can simultaneously surf on a Win98 box attached to my small
> > network. Are any of you aware of a URL which advises as to how to do
> > this ?  On my Slackware 7.1 setup, my iptables rules consisted of
> > perhaps five lines which enabled the ip_masquerade process, but the
> > iptables rule set here is quite long. I was considering writing a script
> > which I could enable at bootup which deleted all the generic iptables
> > rules created by the Mandrake install, and then just add the five lines
> > which I used to get ip_masq running on my old config.

Personally I just dump those distro tables and just use one from an
automated script generator.

visit http://www.freshmeat.net
and search for iptables script generator

Most of the generated scripts are decent.  You might want to browse
through some of the generated ones to see if it has some extra bits and
pieces that you care about.  In particular, you might want to find one
with rules that specifically block samba ports and prevent them from
leaking out of your internal network.

In general, all of them have some kind of masquerading/nat'ing option.