tar backup to remote tape drive

Byron Sonne blsonne-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 11 17:38:52 UTC 2003

On the off chance that anyone has been following this drama, it would
appear I've got a solution; it uses the 'buffer' command. I also turned
off compression as I've now opted to do it in hardware (and it was
confusing me; I couldn't believe 2.4GB of data was being compressed into
479MB, I thought something was screwing up!):

tar -cevf - / | ssh sheridan buffer -u 100 -B -t -p 75 -o /dev/nst0

Later,

p.s. Yes, the 'sheridan' hostname is a B5 reference. Best sci-fi show ever!

--

	For good, return good. For evil, return justice.