X oddities under Debian

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 11 14:55:32 UTC 2003

  This is the first email I'm sending out under Debian (hoorah).

  I usually want to run X at 1152x864.  For editing large images, I want
larger screens, and for streaming video 600x400 or 512x384 is optimum.
I don't like the slipping-and-sliding I get with using a 512x384
"viewport" in a 1600x1200 virtual window.  So I set up several files in
/etc/X11,  Besides the usual XF86Config-4, I have 1600XF86Config-4,
1152XF86Config-4, 512XF86Config-4, etc.  Each one has one modeline, and
is hardcoded to a specific resolution.  The webpage...
http://koala.ilog.fr/cgi-bin/nph-colas-modelines  (javascript required)
can help you generate all sorts of oddball modelines.

  One way to invoke the desired config is to manually type...

startx -- -nolisten tcp -xf86config 1600XF86Config-4

or whatever.  It gets painfull, so I I set up ~/bin/x like so...

#! /bin/bash
startx -- -nolisten tcp -xf86config ${1}XF86Config-4

  Under Redhat, I could simply type "x 1152" or "x 512" and X would
come up with the desired config.  With no parameters, the default
XF86Config-4 file would be used.  Under Debian, it complains that the
user is not authorized to run X when I invoke the script !!!  Manually
typing the whole command...

startx -- -nolisten tcp -xf86config 1600XF86Config-4

etc, works, but I was trying to get away from that.  The script works
if I "source" it (note the leading dot)

 x 1152

  That's better than typing the whole thing, but still has me curious.
Any ideas ?

  On a semi-related note, why does the config file have entries for both
"configured mouse" and "generic mouse" ?

Email users are divided into two classes;
1) Those who have effective spam-blocking
2) Those who wish they did