B.I.O.S. to lock out non-Windows code ?

Hugh Reilly hughreilly1-PkbjNfxxIARBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 11 13:48:31 UTC 2003

-Hugh
Hugh Reilly
XEN Technology Group | LinuxLab
600 Bay Street, Suite 405
Toronto ON  M5R 1G6
tel: 416-204-9951
fax: 416-204-9723
email: info-2K4XOyu7qTosA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
http://www.xen.ca  |  http://www.linuxlab.ca

>From: JoeHill <joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org>
>To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
>Subject: Re: [TLUG]: B.I.O.S. to lock out non-Windows code ?
>Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 22:51:03 -0400

>No. I don't think you understood a single word he said. It has nothing
>whatsoever to do with Capitalism. Capital is no longer the primary means
>of production, therefore control of Capital is no longer an issue,
>control of information *is*. Yer still stuck in this whole Communist vs.
>Capitalist thang, that is sooooo ten years ago.

I draw a distinction between capitalism and free enterprise. These things
are not necessarily connected. Capitalism often requires the innovator to
seek approval of the capitalist before innovation can happen. The Peter
Principle being what it is, this aspect of capitalism puts a huge roadblock
in the way of economic growth.

>BTW, can you point me to some evidence for this "flaw" in human nature?
>I hear a lot about it from religious folk and from reading too many
>elitist philosophers like Hobbes and Rousseau, but I've never actually
>seen any concrete evidence.
>
>Seems to me that it ain't humans that are flawed, it's the system they
>live under, but maybe I've got it backwards...

Well, humans are definitely flawed (at least, speaking for myself :), but
having said that, lets acknowledge human nature and design our systems and
institutions to make the most of it. Lots of our systems (including the
money system) are functioning like improperly trimmed sails, and causing
unnecessary suffering.

So the system is flawed. Let's fix it.