Anti spam solutions

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 11 12:15:46 UTC 2003

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003, JoeHill wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 10:53:49 +0200 (IST)
> "Peter L. Peres" <plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org> uttered:
>
> > I don't want that but I don't want the spam in a worse way than I
> > don't want that.
>
> Sweet Lord Jesus, tell me you don't mean that! We're talking about
> losing a really great opportunity for giving all people on this
> godforsaken rock the ability to share their thoughts and ideas openly...

Does that include China, whose 1 billion people's Internet access and
Email is censored or do we coopt them later ?

> I agree something must be done about spam, but there are other sol'ns
> that, IMO, are better than adding another layer of payment to the
> scheme.

I agree. I will take that amateur radio license exam eventually ;-). I am
also all for using only crypted mail for communication. No key, no
reading. Unfortunately I have computer-challenged relatives who will balk
at that.

> Like I mentioned elsewhere, everyone having a valid and encrypted
> personal key in order to send e-mail, a *public key*, not the DRM sol'n
> MS and Big Media wants to force down our throats. Make it impossible for
> the spammer to hide their identity.

Suits me fine. How do you intend to make them adopt it ?

> IPV6 holds some promise in this area as well, each and every network
> user having a unique and traceable ID. This idea is discussed here:
>
> http://fourmilab.ch/documents/digital-imprimatur/

That suits me too.

Peter