Anti spam solutions

Chris F.A. Johnson c.f.a.johnson-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 10 03:47:20 UTC 2003

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, JoeHill wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 01:50:14 -0400 (EDT)
> "Chris F.A. Johnson" <c.f.a.johnson-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> uttered:
>
> >      That would probably take care of it in my script, too; the main
> >      reason for not using procmail is to prevent having to download
> >      multimegabytes every hour.
> >
> >      Another program that delete at the source is mailfilter:
> >
> >        <http://mailfilter.sourceforge.net/>
> >
> >      Unfortunately, it only reads the headers, and I found that the
> >      most reliable block was in the top 10 to 20 lines of the body (as
> >      also shown by your solution), so I wrote the script. The regex
> >      files do need tuning.
>
> I currently use Mailfilter to snag the obvious ones (it catches most of
> the MS Patch types anyway, currently) and this with Procmail:
>
> http://agriroot.aua.gr/~nikant/nkvir/
>
> to filter out the rest.
>
> Could your script be called by fetchmail the same way Mailfilter is *at
> the same time*?

     The script replaces both fetchmail (or get-mail, in my case) and
     mailfilter. Or either one.

     So I was going to say no, but as I think about it, it could in
     fact be called by fetchmail: just set retrieve=0 in the config
     file so that it doesn't download the mail itself.

> or would I need to call it seperately, say as a cron job
> or something?

     I set up a new e-mail account a few days ago; I used it yesterday
     for the first time to post some messages to newsgroups. Within a
     couple of hours, that account received 4 copies of the SWEN
     virus!

--
	Chris F.A. Johnson