B.I.O.S. to lock out non-Windows code ?

Hugh Reilly hughreilly1-PkbjNfxxIARBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 9 14:37:15 UTC 2003

>From: Anton Markov <anton-F0u+EriZ6ihBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>
>To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
>Subject: Re: [TLUG]: B.I.O.S. to lock out non-Windows code ?
>Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 22:23:12 -0400
>
>Can you please explain this vision of 'abundant currency' in political and
>economical terms? (seriously)
>
>Be sure to read Peter's reply first please.

OK, I read Peter's email. First, by "abundant" currency, I do not mean the
kind of hyperinflated currency that ruined the Weimar republic and perhaps
contributed to the rise of the Nazi party in Germany between the wars. That
kind of hyperinflation is caused by printing more and more money which
remains backed by the still limited productive capacity of the economy.
Finite economic capacity divided by (approaching) infinite currency units
equals valueless money, or hyperinflation. That doesn't work.

Today we have a new class of economic product; digital/virtual products
whose marginal cost (approaches) zero, and that can be reproduced and
distributed ad infinitem (and is therefore fundamentally abundant).
Software, MP3s (for example), even information and knowledge itself fall
into that category in the Internet age. As more and more of the overall
economic activity is comprised of these abundant economic products, we have
the opportunity to match production of these products exactly to
demand--without the need for "rationing" by raising prices until the demand
and supply curves meet.

Before I get to how this can apply specifically to the open-source movement,
here's the broad vision of how this would work overall politically and
economically. (This may raise more questions than answers. If there was
sufficient interest, I'd enjoy presenting this at a TLUG gathering).

A better way to maintain currency stability (minimize the threat of either
inflation or deflation) is to decentralize it away from the nation-state
(that's real monopoly money--money managed by a government or central bank
monopoly) and into the hands of those who have the actual capacity to
produce goods and/or services and/or knowledge that is of real value to
people. When this occurs, new currencies are backed by the productive
capacity of their managing organizations, and currency values can fluctuate
freely relative to one another in a free market currency exchange system. In
other words, companies and organizations can establish and maintain their
own currencies, allowing them to self-capitalize (and removing the threat of
undercapitalization or cannibalization due to externally created money
scarcity). Organizations who make wise economic decisions and
self-investments will see their currencies rise relative to other
currencies, while the reverse is also true. Thus, the free market will
provide incentive to make good decisions. Plus, the problems inherent in the
monoculture of nation-state currencies (inflation, deflation, and the
vulnerability of productive organizations to suffer from bad economic
management at the hands of government and banks) will disappear.

BTW: In the Internet age, "organizations" can be very decentralized and
truly virtual. I like the non-hierarchical icosohedron form of organization
proposed by Stafford Beer designed to optimize information flow among its
participants.

With respect to open source, I believe some of these ideas can be applied to
overcome some of the problems that open source companies and developers are
dealing with. Like, does RedHat even have a viable business model yet? The
IPO isn't a business model, it's just a short term cash injection and they
got lucky (good thing for the Ti-Cats). Bruce Perens certainly didn't have
any good ideas for open source business models, other than to suggest that
it could "reduce costs" within a company's regular business model--but we
already knew that.

The impetus for the GPL came from the right idea that information should be
free, and that everyone will be better off if the fruits of knowledge (in
this case, code) should also be free and free to build upon. Using a new kid
of "abundant" currency, copyright holders, artists, inventors, and
distributors would be rewarded for their creation and contribution, and
information could be “free” in the sense that it would be universally
available and universally affordable. IsnÂ’t that really what we mean by
“free” anyway?

An "abundant" currency is one where, on the personal level, an account
balance of zero is not an impediment to spending. The account holder can
continue to spend and reduce his balance into the negative. The negative
balance need not be paid for with "interest", but is in fact backed by his
or her own capacity to create value within the context of the larger
organization which is responsible for managing that particular currency.

Does that clear thing up?

:)

-Hugh
Hugh Reilly