Anti spam solutions

Fraser Campbell fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 9 00:17:18 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 08 October 2003 17:25, Ralph Doncaster wrote:

> > Rogers seem less active in the fight.  They require authentication of
> > smtp connections but don't stop their customers from relaying directly to
> > anywhere else in the world.  This makes it virtually impossible for them
> > to track who is sending spam., I can't imagine that logging all smtp
> > traffic on a network the size of Rogers would be fun.
>
> When Sympatico blocked port 25 for their business customers, we got a
> flood of new signups. ;-)

I'd imagine.  Do they not distinguish between business and residential class
services?  Is it still the case that they block smtp even for business
connections?

> We don't block any ports and have minimal spam problems (one or 2 a week
> at most).  Our current policy is to suspend a customer's account upon any
> evidence of spam, and charge them a re-activation fee.  Second time we
> terminate their service.

That approach suits me fine as well.  Becoming your customer has been on my
list for at least 6 months.  Maybe it's time I called again ;-)

Halton Hills, Ontario, Canada                             Debian GNU/Linux