iptables: accepting SYN --> connection ESTABLISHED

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 8 22:21:32 UTC 2003

On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 04:21:18PM -0400, Robert Brockway wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, William Park wrote:
>
> > If I accept TCP initiation by accepting packet with SYN bit, ie.
> >     iptables ... --syn -j ACCEPT
> > does that mean that the connection is now considered established?
> >
> > This would mean that I can match subsequent packets with something like
> >     iptables ... --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
> > right?
>
> If you use ip_conntrack the state is taken care of for you (and you can
> use the "--state" line above.

'ipt_state' is the top level module for state stuffs, and 'modprobe'
takes care of dependency.

> I would avoid accepting an arbitrary packet with the TCP SYN bit set.

Yes, I only do this for port 25.  I first accept SYN packet, but drop
all subsequent packets.  But, I also allow ESTABLISHED connections in
general.  So, having accepted SYN packet, the SMTP connection is now
established.  Hence, every mail comes through. :-(

That was my confusion.

--
William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>