Anti spam solutions

Wil McGilvery wmcgilvery-6d3DWWOeJtE at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 8 14:02:42 UTC 2003

I have tried Spam Assassin and other filters, but have given up trying to keep up with the spammers.

I now use a program called messagewall. (http://messagewall.org) It is a qmail server built to be an email gateway.

(I was looking to set up something similar, but since they had already done it for me, why bother?)

It uses a number of checks to checks to determine spam, but it does not filter by keywords.

It uses reverse DNS, DNSRBL's, message headers, and attachment filtering. You can decide how strict you want the system to be and the user forum is pretty good.

Since I implemented this gateway our spam has been reduced almost 90%. I don't receive any attachments that are executable in the Windoze world so I have been spared the agony of receiving all those nasty attachments.

However; if I could have my way I would implement an opt-in email system similar to TMDA. I personally don't have an issue with registering with an email system to send email. I do that already with user lists. Other users in our company are not so sure. Of course if everyone used that kind of system, Spammers would probably find a way around it as well.

Hmmm....

Regards,

Wil McGilvery
Manager