BIOS does recognize 80GB drive-RH9

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 8 13:25:12 UTC 2003

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Keith Mastin wrote:

> Generally I put / and swap on primary partitions if they're available

Yeah, I do the same.  Makes me feel safer :)  The way logical partitions
get renumbered (on partition deleted) unless you turn that "feature" off
can be worrying :)

> I've been using 350MB / partitions since the beginning, and have yet to
> fill one up. Anything that can go though, does.
>
> Some people also split off /usr/local, but I would venture a guess that's
> more for development work.

I used to do that a long time ago but dropped it in the end.

> >>   /dev/hda6 ==> swap  512 megs
>
> You can get away with up to 2047MB here. If you have the disk territory
> that's probably going to be just sitting around anyways...
>
> I didn't see a /tmp in the list. /tmp is neat 'cause it can be used to
> dump stuff on reboots, and it also sees quite a bit of disk action, so
> I'de say it's worh confining.

Using tmpfs can improve usage of the disk _and_ performance since it
placeds /tmp in virtual memory.  More on this in my upcoming talk about
system optimisation.

> Not only that, but you can set the partition table so it's set noexec or
> nosuid (or both?) to tighten it down a little bit more security-wise. In

For those reading along, these can be set using the mount command line or
in /etc/fstab.

> any event, I prefer Walt's solution to leaving /home on /. It's..
> inventive. :)

;)

Rob

--