SCO visit

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 8 11:43:43 UTC 2003

The story I overheard and loved was one of the resellers who noted about how
a few years ago SCO took the "religious" position that the hardware
manufacturers had to write device drivers for SCO Unix. So as a reseller he
was having to walk away from multi-million dollar point of sale system sales
because a client needed an odd ball bit of hardware at the check-out stand
and both SCO and the hardware vendor would not write a driver. So, he was
screaming at SCO to take the cost of the driver out of his commission (as at
one time SCO had a team who could (assuming a semi-co-operative vendor), do
most device drivers in under 3 weeks and for about $10,000. Even with
un-coperative (or bankrupt) hardware SCO could create reverse engineer a
driver for under $100,000. In other words SCO has a long history of shooting
themselves in the foot (ok, so getting into lawsuits with IBM, RedHat and
apparently soon SGI, SCO seems to be aiming at the head rather than
foot...).