BIOS does recognize 80GB drive-RH9

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 8 03:54:54 UTC 2003

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org wrote:

>   2) Re-install linux, and re-partition the drive creating a 50 megabyte
> /boot partition at the beginning of the disk (/dev/hda1).  Your
> computer's BIOS should be able to load the boot image off that, and
> linux's driver can take over from that point.

Spot on Walt.  One comment I would add though - make sure the kernel image
(normally vmlinuz) is actually in /boot since some distros have been known
to stick it in / (less common these days but worth remembering :)

>   Here's the disk layout I recommend...
>   /dev/hda1 ==> /boot (set bootable)  50 megs
>   /dev/hda2 ==>       extended partition; the rest of the hard drive.
>   /dev/hda5 ==> /     3 gigs for the OS (just to play safe)

An additional option is to split off /usr as well.  If this is done / can
be alot smaller (with the additional disk space going to /usr instead).

>   /dev/hda6 ==> swap  512 megs
>   /dev/hda7 ==> /var  512 megs.  This is a security measure.  If your
>                       / partition runs out of space, *BAD THINGS* happen.
>                       If your log files (/var/log) or mailspool fill a
>                       separate partition, some info gets lost, but your
>                       system is not hosed.
>   /dev/hda8 ==> /misc The rest of the harddrive.  Make certain that you
>                       answer yes when the install asks about installing
>                       the symlinks program
>
>   First time you boot after the install...
>   -   log in as root
>   -   mv /home /misc/home
>   -   ln -s /misc/home /home

Why not just make /home a seperate partition?  When it comes to upgrade
time you can just umount that partition and make sure you don't blam it
during the upgrade.  No need to mess around with symlinks then.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org, zzbrock at uqconnect.net