Troubleshooting server crashes

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 6 19:32:40 UTC 2003

On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 12:15:48PM -0400, Fraser Campbell wrote:
> Yup, I was thinking about that one, definitely sounds like a good idea, there
> isn't even a monitor attached normally so there's no screen that we're
> saving.

I wish I could remember which command to use to disable it, but I can't.

> It has 512MB of RAM rarely using more than 100MB (other than for fs caching),
> I cannot rule out an unusual event that caused a spike in usage though ...
> we're now monitoring that so hopefully it's not so rapid that we don't catch
> it.  The kernel probably does have known issues but it's Debian's latest
> 2.4.18-686 so it should be ok from a security point of view at least.

I had problems with intel e100 cards locking up prior to switchin to the
e100 driver in 2.4.19, the eepro100 driver had some bugs, although I
think it may require more than 900MB ram to be an issue, but it sure
could lock the machine good when it hit.

Lennart Sorensen