Troubleshooting server crashes

Fraser Campbell fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 6 16:15:48 UTC 2003

On Monday 06 October 2003 10:33, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> If a server is misbehaving, be SURE to disable console blanking, since
> if the machine crashes, you often can not unblank it to see what
> happened.

Yup, I was thinking about that one, definitely sounds like a good idea, there
isn't even a monitor attached normally so there's no screen that we're
saving.

> Could it have run out of ram?  Is it running a kernel without any known
> issues?

It has 512MB of RAM rarely using more than 100MB (other than for fs caching),
I cannot rule out an unusual event that caused a spike in usage though ...
we're now monitoring that so hopefully it's not so rapid that we don't catch
it.  The kernel probably does have known issues but it's Debian's latest
2.4.18-686 so it should be ok from a security point of view at least.

Halton Hills, Ontario, Canada                       Debian GNU/Linux