B.I.O.S. to lock out non-Windows code ?

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 6 16:55:53 UTC 2003

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003, James McIntosh wrote:

> How will this affect Linux ?
>

> http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/developer/0,39020387,39116902,00.htm
>
> Microsoft moves to integrate Windows with BIOS

First, the BIOS is to Linux what the driver side door handle is to the
Mercedes car. It has to be there so you can get in, after that it's just a
piece of metal that causes drag and snags things.

Second, not everyone will 'integrate'. The aftermarket for compatible
BIOSes is huge as a large proportion of automation and embedded runs on PC
platform now.

Third, this is not new, it has been rumored for a while now, and there are
already 'open' BIOSes (although the last time I checked they were closed
for non-US people ?!). See here:

http://www.openbios.org/

Notice that there is an IEEE standard for this, and that they follow it.
This is not wild-in-the-field hacking.

As to integrated drm, I have nothing against drm and its effects on
copycats, but I have everything against it because I use embedded and I
write low level drivers. Having to buy my way through various cartel
memberships to be able to do that is not an available option. I believe
that drm should be achieved without locking the pc platform for all the
small and medium developers out there, who do not have the means to play
in cartels.

Peter