php mail() function not working

Keith Mastin kmastin-PzQIwG9Jn9VAFePFGvp55w at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 6 01:03:04 UTC 2003

> On Sunday 05 October 2003 17:25, Keith Mastin wrote:
>
>> Here's what I know: After submitting a form, a new browser window
>> opens (unintended) with the address of
>> http://www.domain.dom/contact.php (the name of the script called in
>> the form action). The only related entry in any of the logs is this
>> one in both the apache error_log and maillog: postdrop: warning:
>> mail_queue_enter: create file maildrop/613100.25414: Permission
>> denied
>
> Is /var either full or out of inodes?

df
/dev/sda6              1004024    417364    535656  44% /var
df -i
/dev/sda6             127744   29835   97909   24% /var

> What are the permissions on your maildrop directory?  In Debian the
> maildrop  directory is /var/spool/postfix/maildrop/ and these are the
> permissions:
>
> drwx-wx--T    2 postfix  postdrop       48 Oct  5 19:02 maildrop

I didn't have the sticky bit set. Setting it didn't make a difference. Get
this. I set the dir to 777, tried again... still no joy.

I'm getting ready to compile php and apache in usr/local/ to see if I can
come up with a solution. The php manual says that for the mail function to
work it has to be compiled in. php -i shows the sendmail wrapper
sendmail.postfix, so it should work, but I've grown used to expecting
snafu's with security fixes breaking something. So if apache is ran as
apache.shadow-readers, sendmail is root.root and postfix is run as
postfix.postdrop, who do I compile php as? Arrgh!

...tap...tap...tap... waiting for FreeBSD to be smp ready.

--
Keith Mastin
BeechTree Information Technology Services Inc.