Audio system to computer

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 5 21:59:17 UTC 2003

Merv Curley wrote:
> Hi audiofile
>
> I have decided to try and move my old vinyl and maybe 78's records to ogg,
> wav, or whatever files on the computer.  I have found some programs which
> seem to be at a level I can figure out.
>
> I have taken the line-out of my amp and fed it to the line-in of the audio
> card and I wasn't surprised at the result.  Now if I can just get rid of
> the hum,  ground loop?,  I could get started.
>
> Apparently no audio cards have ground isolation and I don't want to build
> something out of transformers, optical transducers etc.  What did you do to
> solve this?

1) make sure that both the computer and audio source are plugged into
the same outlet.

2) if a polarized plug is not used on audio source, try reversing it.

3) make sure all audio cables have the shield connected properly at both
ends.

4) if you need other equipment, a transformer would be better than a
little fm transmitter.