php mail() function not working

Keith Mastin kmastin-PzQIwG9Jn9VAFePFGvp55w at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 5 21:25:04 UTC 2003

redhat-7.3
apache-1.3.27-3
php-4.1.2

This just started recently, in the last week or 2. I have a few different
websites running on my server, many of them php intensive running postnuke
or envolution, etc. On the very light sites, I just use php for contact
forms using mail(). All was working well, until when I wrote a script for
my last site. It didn't send. I've pared the script back to the very basic
elements of a message, but it still doesn't work.

The only thing I can think of is that the apache security fix supplied by
up2date broke the mail() function.

Here's what I know: After submitting a form, a new browser window opens
(unintended) with the address of http://www.domain.dom/contact.php (the
name of the script called in the form action). The only related entry in
any of the logs is this one in both the apache error_log and maillog:
postdrop: warning: mail_queue_enter: create file maildrop/613100.25414:
Permission denied

I've asked about this error message on the postfix list, and so have
others. The only replies have been to kill the processes, but there's no
explanation about why this happens or how to correct it.

As for asking on a php users list, the only one for Toronto seems to have
one member.

I've uninstalled and re-installed mysql, php and apache, using the rpm -i
on the latest packages they've released. I've checked the configs and the
code, looking for something, but the only constant is the mail() function
doesn't work. I'm really stumped here.

Here's the code:
contact.php:
<?php
mail("info-PzQIwG9Jn9VAFePFGvp55w at public.gmane.org",
"Contact form test",
"$comments"
);
?>

html form:
<form name="contact" action="contact.php" method="post">
<input type="reset" value="Clear"><br>
<input type="submit" name="Send" value="Send">

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

--
Keith Mastin
BeechTree Information Technology Services Inc.