Gentoo installation error

Dan Lang drl4967-nE92ml7/ZJ6Vc3sceRu5cw at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 5 21:00:01 UTC 2003

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, Denis Mironnenko wrote:

> I am trying to install Gentoo using State 1 tarball. After doing emerge
> there is a message saying that I should do an update. But update fails when
> trying to install ncurses the message is
>
> configure: error: C++ preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check
>
> What does this mean? Am I misssing some library?

You should rsync emerge first.

'emerge rsync'
then you have to run the bootstrap.sh script. this builds binutils, gcc,
gettext and glibc
'#cd /usr/portage'
'#scripts/bootstrap.sh'

It sounds like you didn't get above installed, so run the bootstrap.sh
script.  After that run,
'#emerge -u system'

That will install a base system and you can have fun after that.

All of this is in the documenatation btw:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-install.xml

Cheers,

Dan Lang