Debian-newbie questions

waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 5 19:50:08 UTC 2003

On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 06:17:51PM -0400, Ilya Palagin wrote

> I don't. Do you need xanim to watch video? If so, it's better to use
> xine or mplayer. Go to http://www.apt-get.org (one of the most wonderful
> Debian resources :-)) and search for these apps, look for "stable"
> packages, note the "deb" line for your /etc/apt/source.list in the
> search results. Don't forget to execute `apt-get update` after adding
> this line, then just apt-get mplayer or xine.

  A general security question here; is there a way get a list of
new/upgraded packages broken down by site?  Specifically, packages at
security.debian.org.  Any way to list security updates only for packages
that I have currently installed ?  "ls -al /var/lib/apt/lists" seems to
be a possible beginning to this process.

Email users are divided into two classes;
1) Those who have effective spam-blocking
2) Those who wish they did