Troubleshooting server crashes

Byron Sonne blsonne-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 5 05:21:14 UTC 2003

> Well, I would love to have a kb like this!  The problem is that the
> message you mentioned can be caused by too many reasons (just search
> google): from bad IDE cable and faulty hard drive to wrong DMA options

Ya pays your money and ya takes yer chances... I've had boxen run for
almost a year with the HDD SMART indicators going off. Never a problem.
So, of course, I ignored it when my box at work started doing it a month
ago. The disk ate it hard on Wednesday and needed to be replaced.

I guess the moral of the story is that you can't rely on error messages,
they are only a guide. You gotta go with your instincts but it pays to
have contingency plans.

--

	For good, return good. For evil, return justice.