Troubleshooting server crashes

Ilya Palagin IlyaPalagin-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 4 23:11:49 UTC 2003

Fraser Campbell wrote:

> Still there are so many possible Linux error messages, some common and not
> resulting in a crash, some more serious ... sometimes it's hard to find
> definitive answers.  For example:
>
>     hda: timeout waiting for DMA
>
> Wouldn't it be nice to have a knowledgebase somewhere telling you that this
> error is usually nothing to worry about unless accompanied by other errors,
> this error is a sign that you're using unsupported DMA modes, this error
> means that your that your motherboard needs to be replaced, ???
Well, I would love to have a kb like this!  The problem is that the
message you mentioned can be caused by too many reasons (just search
google): from bad IDE cable and faulty hard drive to wrong DMA options
in kernel config. In the most cases the real reason for a warning or an
error depends on the global configuration, which is always unique. Once
upon a time I was interested to find a reason for a "lost interrupt"
message appearing on the console after I started CD burning. I didn't
suspect that this subject is so good for researching  - there are a lot
if issues with hardware and kernel. Finally I followed the suggestion:
"you can safely ignore this message". :-)

> I just tried searching Redhat's knowledgebase for "timeout waiting for DMA"
> and the results are a joke. A total of 7 hits, first hit was "nsupdate not
> working", the second hit was "sendmail hangs at boot" dma matched because of
> senDMAil.

google is a much better knowledgebase :-)