tar process is keep running

login-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org login-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 4 00:07:34 UTC 2003

Here is our set-up:

OS:    		Mandrake Linux 8.2 2.96-0.76mdk
Tape Drive:  	VXA AutoPak 1x7 Autoloader
tar:   		GNU tar 1.13.25

We are able to run this command sucessfully:

/bin/gtar -cvf /dev/st0 /dir/of/backup

where /dev/st0 is tape device and will backup "backup" directory

Now we want to restore a file from the tape device using

/bin/gtar -xvf /dev/st0 dir/of/backup/filename

and we do restore the file "filename" within reasonable time
depending on the size of the file but we never come back to
system prompt. It appears (using strace -p process of the above
tar command) that /bin/gtar is keep reading the tape forever.

The file "filename" is seen ok and able to see its contents
and no problem in access / move / rm of this "filename".

On the net, it is suggested to put the "dir/of/backup/filename"
into a file called fooboo and then run the following command:

/bin/gtar -xvf -T fooboo /dev/st0

But same result, file is restored but process keep reading the
tape device forever.

Any one can shed some lights what are we missing? Thanks a lot.

S. Mohammad [login-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org]