Troubleshooting server crashes

Ilya Palagin IlyaPalagin-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 3 19:18:52 UTC 2003

Fraser Campbell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When a Linux server crashes there are often clear messages in the logs
> indicating why ... out of memory and processes dying, file descriptors being
> exhausted, whatever.
>
> When a server crashes and absolutely nothing interesting is in the logs what
> does a person do?  I generally suspect hardware problems but when a server
Turn on the monitor to find out if there is a kernel panic. What
actually happens when it crashes?

> has been rock solid historically I don't put a lot of faith in that and in
> any case it's just a guess.
How old is it? Maybe it's time to clean contacts on SIMMs, run
memtest86,  replace a power supply (electrolytic capasitors get dry in
2-3 years), make sure fans are good, run badblock?

> The server is completely up to date; postfix, apache, courier (imap & pop) and
> ssh accessible to the Internet.  It also runs mysql (not Internet
> accessible).  Server 1 minute load average is normally less than 0.1.
>
> What approaches do you guys take for tracking these things down? For now I've
> installed atsar to track resources, post crash (if it happens again) I can
> hopefully tell if it's a resource issue.
>
> Although google is a great resource for finding specific error messages I find
> tracking down topics like this can sometimes be difficult.  A website that
> collected and organized troubleshooting tips would be a great idea, if only I
> had the time ;-)
Crashes of stable Linux distributions don't happen on regular basis,
there is no need in troubleshooting tips website :-). Seriously - if one
starts to experience problems having no recent soft/config changes in
the Linux system, hardware must be checked. I've listed the most weak
parts above.

Regards,
Ilya.