Some funny MS Propaganda

Fraser Campbell fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 3 03:31:20 UTC 2003

On Thursday 02 October 2003 15:00, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> I can't find ANYTHING that indicates IOS runs on QNX, and I actually
> find it hard to believe, since I don't think QNX generally runs on non
> x86 hardware, and I don't think Cisco uses x86 hardware.

Cisco definitely uses some x86 hardware.  PIX firewalls are basically PCs,
according to my docs (about 2 years old I think) low end PIXes are
Pentium200, high end PIX is PIII-1000 ... they might now have more horsepower
these days but I expect they're still x86.

The PIX is claimed to run a different operating system (FOS) from Cisco
routers (IOS).  Not sure if that's just a marketing gimick or if the core OS
really is differnt.  Also don't know if typical Cisco routers are built
around the x86 cpu.

Halton Hills, Ontario, Canada                             Debian GNU/Linux