LILO Dual boot problem

Chris F.A. Johnson c.f.a.johnson-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 3 03:14:56 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003, Keith Mastin wrote:

> > I'm curious. When you are booting 2 different versions of Linux do you
> > have to install those packages that are common to both distributions
> > twice or can you share files between the 2 distributions.
>
> You'll want to keep the 2 seperate, but you can share $UERSPACE, such as
> /home, /tmp, and swap space. One of the problems with sharing apps is in
> the libs and where different distros install user files.

     So long as the apps are compiled with the same libraries, you
     should be OK. I have often just linked /usr/local/bin, or copied
     files into a bin directory, from a previous distro rather than
     hunting for the .debs, .rpms or source code.

     As usual, the best advice is: try it and see. You can move things
     around later, or recompile, if something doesn't work.

--
	Chris F.A. Johnson