"Running the Internet" and other meaningless terms

Paul King pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 3 00:48:00 UTC 2003

> I say "Does this computer have internet access?"

Oh, but that's boring (because it happens to be a correct statement).

But I just wonder how many people "out there" (hand-wavy guesture toward the
window) think that the internet just vanishes when they switch off the power
button.

> You say potato, I say potatoe. I dont worry much about semantics.

Many people don't, but I know a lot of people with utterly limited 'net savvy
that would believe "running the internet" to be a literally true phrase. That
is, the internet is something you "run" on your computer. No concept of
networking. Or applications. Or operating systems. The computer is just an
appliance to them like a toaster. You click on that cute little "e" picture on
the side of the screen, you get the internet. Like when you put bread in the
rectangular holes and press the handle thingy, you get toast.

Paul