Second hard drive: Part 2

Henry Spencer henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 2 15:39:45 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003, Phillip Mills wrote:
> > "ATA-33", "ATA-133", etc., are about the ATA transfer speed.  That is
> > not a compatibility worry...
>
> That's the paragraph I wanted to see!  Thank you.  (So the comment
> about limited backward compatibility -- for 40GB only -- was just
> noise, I can assume?)

I would think so, yes.  (Heaven knows, it's hard to be sure sometimes...
Just when you think the PC world cannot possibly perpetrate any hardware
stupidity worse than it has already done...)

> > The problem with really big drives is that the old IDE standard simply
> > did not envision drives bigger than 128GB...
>
> Therefore dropping in a current-model 80GB should pose no mismatch-type
> problems.

Shouldn't, no.  I've never heard of a 64GB problem with BIOSes etc.

> In reference to some of the other discussion....  I have the system
> manual and specifications that came with the machine and it mentions
> very little about the EIDE interface, just the ATA-33 thing, some about
> the physical connections, and nothing about size limits.

Yeah, they're not really communicative about this sort of thing. :-)

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org