Second hard drive: Part 2

Phillip Mills pmills-5bG9SNWDbRX3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 2 12:30:49 UTC 2003

On Wednesday, October 1, 2003, at 03:16 PM, Henry Spencer wrote:

> "ATA-33", "ATA-133", etc., are about the ATA transfer speed.  That is
> not
> a compatibility worry, because it's pretty much all
> backward-compatible:
> an old controller talking to a new drive won't get the higher speed
> that
> the new drive is capable of, but it *will* cope.

That's the paragraph I wanted to see!  Thank you.  (So the comment
about limited backward compatibility -- for 40GB only -- was just
noise, I can assume?)

> The problem with really big drives is that the old IDE standard simply
> did
> not envision drives bigger than 128GB -- it runs out of bits in its
> block
> numbers.

Therefore dropping in a current-model 80GB should pose no mismatch-type
problems.

In reference to some of the other discussion....  I have the system
manual and specifications that came with the machine and it mentions
very little about the EIDE interface, just the ATA-33 thing, some about
the physical connections, and nothing about size limits.  The primary
hard drive identifies on boot as a Quantum Fireball LM30.0.  (I've
typically had good luck with Quantum or IBM drives in my Macs.)

Thanks to all for the comments.

Phillip Mills
Multi-platform software development
(416) 224-0714