Second hard drive: Part 2

Henry Spencer henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 2 04:01:49 UTC 2003

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Robert Brockway wrote:
> Indeed.  Since Linux doesn't really use the bios except to get into about
> devices (for the most part) it is possible to pass info to the OS to tell
> it to use devices what the hardware is having trouble seeing...
> I'm not sure if this will also work for a problem related to >128GB
> drives, but the original poster could look into the use of disktab...

My understanding is that it won't work, alas:  there are small but real
hardware differences between an IDE controller that supports >128GB and
one that doesn't, and there is no practical software workaround.

The earlier limits were BIOS stupidities that prevented recognition of
perfectly usable hardware.  This one is much more fundamental -- a real,
honest-to-god hardware limit.

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org