USB Memory 'stick' recommendation

Peter M Garfield garfield-o1KnIK80MWoTRQv+KTR+0w at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 1 20:29:19 UTC 2003

Hi,

Madison wrote:
> I have the el-cheapo Apacer brand 64MB stick and though I won't say much
> for it's quality (I was/am poor so I went cheap) it does work just fine
> under Linux.

I also went el-cheapo; my USB flash drive (as I know it) says
"PowerData" on the front.  I have no problems at home on my Mandrake
9.0 system or the Windows XP box at the office.

However, on my desk at work on an updated Red Hat 7.3 (where I'm not
root).  On this machine, the USB drive only works on fresh re-boots.
After some time (and I haven't experimented enough to see what the
problem is) it will *appear* to work, but then not really write to the
drive.  If I leave it mounted, the files I've written to /mnt/flash/
will simply vanish.  On the other hand, if I unmount and remount,
they're not there.  It's as if the drive is read-only, which it
isn't.  This quirk aside, this USB keychain drives are marvelous
things.  I'd still prefer a CD burner in the office, but only just. :)

Peter

--
Peter M. Garfield
Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Toronto
garfield-o1KnIK80MWoTRQv+KTR+0w at public.gmane.org