MacIntoshes

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 1 19:33:52 UTC 2003

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 22:15:50 +0300 (IDDT)
"Peter L. Peres" <plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org> uttered:

> Therefore if a unregistered domain appears
> anywhere in the envelope the mail could be deleted as spam. Therefore
> you do not put any unregistered domain in there. So you translate
> (masquerade) each unregistered name at domain to the ones you are really
> registered as at the isp you are using.

Ok, this part I think I understand, when I sent mail from my box as
user-aVhblUPYB0nrUdxDeFtalg at public.gmane.org, it was rejected by many recipients because doing
a reverse lookup revealed that my IP *actually* belonged to
sympatico.ca, no?

now what I do is tell Postfix to relay my mail through Sympatico's smtp
server, and all is well. But you seem to be saying there is a way I
could do this by "masquerading"...I'll have to do more reading
obviously...

I have read, IIRC, that one can get a static IP and register it against
a valid mail.domain.com address, and that is the only way to be
*totally* legit, at least in the eyes of some recipients who are very
spam-sensitive. Am I getting this wrong?

> But many organisations hide their desktops behind routers and
> firewalls so there is no way for a server to check all the envelope
> names against their ips. So this feature mostly does not work because
> everyone disables it. That's why hard-to-trace spam can exist.

This is where I'm really behind in terms of knowledge of how mail works.
Isn't this where the RBL's come in? They say, "I cannot map this domain
to a valid IP, therefore it is quite likely spam..." and either bounce
it or /dev/null it?

Thanks for the edumucation....!

--
JoeHill