Wireless network (WEP security)

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 1 17:43:44 UTC 2003

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, James Knott wrote:

> William Park wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 04:00:49PM -0400, WK wrote:
>
> >>True.  I'm not saying that my network is 100% secured against hacker,
> >

> > Mine is 100% secure against anyone and everyone.  I can't even break-in,
> > that is, until I plug it into wall socket.
> >

> I turn off the wireless access, when I'm not using it.

I have a friend who owns a computer shop. He had this bluetooth networking
thing plugged into USB. Someone walked into the shop. Hop, the guy's
cellular phone was on the (usb) network neighborhood, all addresses and
things browseable (the guy knew nothing of it, the phone was in his
pocket). Maybe he could have placed a call (he did not try).

You worry about your home computer security ? Do you expect the average
phone user to navigate the defaults on his super-gimmicky-gadgety cellular
and set safe options when he doesn't bother to install an anti-virus on
his windoze machine ? Yeah right. And this hasn't even started yet. Did
you know that some phones respond to IrDa challenges and will connect to
any laptop that presents itself ?

I mean, when sitting in a restaurant, cellular on the table, not looking
hard, the guy on the table opposite with the laptop may not be reading his
email, he may be browsing your address book in the phone, using IrDa.
Maybe even update it (I don't know if it's possible).

Peter