Some funny MS Propaganda

Ellis, Steve steellis-MemsRbtxb9FWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 1 14:15:19 UTC 2003

> You are correct, sir. I should have clarified that point better. What I
> was getting at is that the problems we suffer through on the internet
> are the product of Microsoft's insecurity, not it's market share, though
> the fewer people running MS on the desktop, the fewer problems we would
> have.

A further point is that it is the M$ market share that makes it easy for
code to be written to exploit any vulnerability. It would be harder for worm
and virus programs to propagate if there was a more diverse Internet client
O/S's as code would have to be included to detect the O/S, version, email
client, etc..
However as for security and vulnerabilities the onus is on the user to
protect and maintain their systems. The use of *NIX is not a guarantee of
security. It never ceases to amaze me how many new LINUX users are logged in
as root or run services as root. New vulnerabilities will always be found in
existing and new code, patches will be written, but will the user
communities actually patch their systems?

Diversification of code and standardisation of protocols should be the goal.
This will lead to innovation and not stagnation.

Steve