Toronto FreeNet stable now; wish it were co-op, tho

verbum-qazKcTl6WRFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org verbum-qazKcTl6WRFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Sun Nov 30 04:53:04 UTC 2003

Thanks to all of you who posted over the last 10 days
or so on in response to my query about DSL ISP selection.
The Toronto FreeNet people
have been very nice about my flaky DSL, listening
sympathetically while stressing that ultimatelly the problem is in the hands
of upstream provider WizNet.
My connection has been performing well for the last several
days.

It was good of several people to discuss IStop
as a possible alternative to Toronto FreeNet. For what
it's worth, Google turns up some pleasant material on IStop, putting that
ISP into a rather favourable light. For a real blast,
try the search term ((QUOTE))istop fun((/QUOTE))
and click on the resulting Google results-page
link to material from a guy named Mendel.

I'm going to try to STICK with Toronto FreeNet, keeping Istop in mind
as a possible fallback if things deteriorate again. We do want Toronto FreeNet
to succeeed.

Incidentally, in the **BEST** of all possible worlds, Toronto FreeNet would be
a co-op, owned and operated by members in the manner of a credit union,
with enough commercial and technical muscle to arrange its own DSLAMs
instead of buying from WizNet. Heck: if anything really cried out for a co-op
structure, in the manner of the classical farmers' and fishermen's co-ops
(or indeed of those big manufacturing co-ops in Mondragon, Spain), it's
the ISP world. Think of it: an ISP that's Linux friendly, and has an explicit
social charter, and even arranges things like hardware recycling
among members! With its employees paid a modest living wage,
rather than relegated to that oh-so-familiar and oh-so-demeaning
world of volunteer work. If anyone wanted
to try making this dream real, I'd do what I could to help out.

Rapidly,

Tom = Tom Karmo
416-971-6955
http://www.metascientia.com