GUI

cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org
Sun Nov 30 04:42:59 UTC 2003

> On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 03:31:40PM -0500, William Park wrote:
> > It's quite amusing to see all these cheap shots directed at Microsoft,
> > while leaving the hardware players (ie. Intel, IBM) alone.  Whether it's
> > OS/2, Windows, DOS, or Linux, they're all running on Intel CPU.  If
> > Microsoft's dominance is so bad, then Intel's position is worse by order
> > of magnitude.
> >
> > So far, Korean (federal) and German (municipal) government decided to
> > try Linux.  This means Intel CPU, also.  Where are the commies when you
> > really need them?
>
> Actually if they do start switching it means they can pick almost any
> architecture they want, but I suspect IA32 is going to be the cheapest
> in general.

It is exceeding unfortunate that there are no vendors of
reasonably-priced PPC motherboards, as that would make a fabulous
alternative to IA-32.

It is similarly unfortunate that nobody has gotten a Taiwanese or Korean
manufacturer to build MIPS or StrongARM or SPARC motherboards at
not-grievious prices.  A $200 motherboard for any of these would provide
a usefully interesting alternative to Intel.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="acm.org" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://cbbrowne.com/info/rdbms.html